In addition to having the necessary education and passing the CPA Exam, it is also necessary to have at least one year's worth of experience working in accounting before getting your CPA license. The experience must:

  • Cover a minimum 12-month period (does not need to be a consecutive 12 months).
  • Consist of a minimum of 2,000 hours.
  • Be obtained by working in the areas of accounting, attest, management advisory, financial advisory, tax, tax advisory or consulting.
  • Be verified by a licensed CPA.
  • Be obtained within 8 years prior to filing a complete application for a license.

This information will then need to be submitted to the Washington State Board of Accountancy (WBOA). Questions? Call the WBOA at (360) 753-2586 or visit